Dr Burton Wasserman Biography
Burton Wasserman, D.D.S.
Burton Wasserman, D.D.S., received his undergraduate degree from New York University in 1953, and went on to study dental medicine at New York University's College of Dentistry. He was awarded his doctorate in 1957.
Dr. Wasserman founded the Department of Dentistry at New York Hospital Queens (then Booth Memorial Hospital). He has served as President and Chairman of the Board of the American Association of Hospital Dentists. He developed the General Practice Residency section of the National Resident Matching Plan and also created the first General Practice Residency Fair in the country; at the Greater NY Dental Meeting.
Since 1982 Dr. Wasserman has served as a General Practice Residency site evaluator for the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). He also has served as the general dentist member of the Periodontics Review Board for CODA from 2006 to 2010.
Dr. Wasserman has authored and received approximately 5 million in grant awards. The numerous government grants include: the study of a dental practice in the hospital setting, dental residency training, and the dental treatment of HIV patients. His contributions to dental literature are numerous, and include works on the structure of dental residency training, medical issues relating to hospital dental care and clinical topics in oral medicine.
- Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry
- Fellow, American College of Dentists
- Fellow, American Association of Hospital Dentists
- Diplomate, Special Care Dentistry Association
Academic and Clinical Appointments
- 1959-1960 - Clinical Assistant, New York University College of Dentistry, Dept. of Pedodontics
- 1975-1981 - Adjunct Clinical Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine, New York University College of Medicine
- 1977- present - Assistant Clinical Professor of Dental Health, SUNY at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine
- 1981- present - Clinical Professor, Div. of Community Health, Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- 1996 - present - Clinical Professor of Surgery, Cornell University Medical College
- 1960-1992 - Chairman of Dentistry, Booth Memorial Medical Center
- 1992- present - Chairman of Dentistry, The New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens
- American Association of Hospital Dentists
- Special Care Dentistry
- 1990 - Dr. Lawrence Chasko Award - AAHD
- 1999 - Dr. I. Gruber Award - Greater NY Dental Meeting
- 2004 - Dr. S. Rosenstein Professorship and Fellowship - Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- 2006 - Dr. S. Kamen Award - Special Care Dentistry
- 2010 - Dr. I. Caputo Award - Physician of the Year - Wyckoff Heights Medical Center
- 2010 - Greater NY Dental Meeting - Creating and sustaining the GPR Fair
- 2012 - Dr. E. Lentchner - Distinguished Service Award - Queens County Dental Society
- 2012 - The Jarvie-Burkhardt Award - NYSDA’s Honor for Outstanding Service Rendered to Mankind Through Dentistry.
- 2012 - The Theresa Lang Award - NYHQ - Highest Award Offered to Hospital Medical Staff Member.
Accomplishments and Honors
- Authored a bimonthly column entitled “CQI Corner” since 1987.
- Served as guest editor of Dental Caries of North America “Special Needs Patient,” April 2009.
- Appointed Chairman of Medicine / Dental Advisory Board of US Army - Greater NY, January 2012.